New Jersey News
Deaths in JC building linked to carbon monoxide
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- Investigators believe two people living in the same Jersey City building died from carbon monoxide poisoning. They're also re-examining a third death there.
The fire department has issued several code violations against the building owner.
The third death going back about 9 months, of an elderly woman who lived in the same unit is being investigated.
She died at the hospital but they are looking at the history of her case to determine the cause.
The rest of the residents cleared out of the building on Baldwin Avenue Tuesday night.
Paramedics had to attend to the mother of Rosario Ferreras-Matos Tuesday night because the anguish was too deep and too great to bear.
"She was taking care of herself, she bought her car, like every other person does, and it's so hard, so hard," said German Ferreras, the victim's brother.
24-year-old Rosario Ferreras-Matos moved away from her parents Monday. It was a huge first step towards independence.
She didn't know that an unopened box of carbon monoxide detectors sat in her landlord's basement.
That landlord, Farouk Todrous had not installed CO2 alarms in any of his apartments.
Tuesday night he insisted, "Everything is OK, everything is OK. There's no gas leak no nothing."
The tough questions like, "Why didn't you have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors?" he refused to answer, and ran away from reporters.
"He had blood on his hands, absolutely no question. Had he installed those carbon monoxide detectors once again, those people might have been alive, or at least this young woman here," said Armando Roman, the Jersey City Fire Director.
"This is an irresponsible person by renting this place, you know I can't believe, I'm still in shock, I can't believe that my sister is dead. We can't believe it, we can't believe it," Ferreras said.
new jersey, new jersey news, jim dolan
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 20 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 29 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 42 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 19 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 17 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 34 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 8 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos