New Jersey News
Sex scandal rocks Paramus Catholic High
PARAMUS, N.J. (WABC) -- There are stunning charges Wednesday against two chaperones from New Jersey on a high school trip to Europe.
Outside court, the attorneys adamantly denied accusations their clients had sexual encounters with four Paramus Catholic students.
"I can state categorically that nothing inappropriate, or of a sexual nature took place on that trip to Germany," said Sopel's attorney, Ray Flood.
Sopel was Vice President of Operations at the school. Sumulikoski was a teacher.
Both men were two of several chaperones on a foreign exchange school trip to Belgium and Germany, that dozens of students attended. According to the Bergen County Prosecutor, three of the students claimed the two men engaged in sexual acts with them during the trip. One attorney, having issue that the case is even in a court in the United States.
"And what kind of crime happened in the state of New Jersey," asked Robert Galantucci.
Administrators held assemblies at the school this morning, explaining the situation and response to students.
Parents saying the accusations against the two, does not reflect on the school.
"It's a horrible thing that happened, but the school should not be judged on what went on..those are two adults," said one parent.
Both suspects are being held on bail.
new jersey, teacher arrested, sex crime, paramus, new jersey news, toni yates
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos