New Jersey News
Gas station attendant dragged by car
FORT LEE, N.J. (WABC) -- Police are looking for the driver of a black Maxima who sped away without paying for gas, dragging the attendant into the street.
It happened just before 5:00 p.m. at a Lukoil station on the westbound side of Route 4 in Fort Lee, about a mile west of the George Washington Bridge.
When the 50-year-old gas station attendant, Hassan Karaca, went up to the window to be paid for the gas, the driver of a black Maxima with New York plates just took off. Karaca held onto the car as it sped away.
Surveillance video of the incident shows the attendant holding on to the driver's side window.
"He was trying to get the money and the guy tried to take off, so he just kind of latched on. It was a foolish thing for him to do because the boss always told him, if anybody drives off, just let them go," eyewitness Tony Lulaj said.
The vehicle dragged the attendant about 50 feet into the street before he let go. Lulaj said a white pick-up truck nearly hit him.
Lulaj said the gas station has been hit by pump and run drivers several times in recent months as gas prices have risen.
Karaca did not suffer life threatening injuries, officials said. He was treated and released from an area hospital.
Police said two men were inside the vehicle, a 2000-2002 black Nissan Maxima with New York plates.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 201-592-3524.
new jersey, fort lee, crime, new jersey news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 9 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos