New Jersey News
RutgersFest canceled in wake of gun violence
NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ -- Rutgers University is pulling the plug on RutgersFest, its annual end-of-the-year student carnival and concert.
The decision announced Tuesday by university President Richard McCormick follows a night of violence and rowdiness in New Brunswick after this year's event.
New Brunswick police say large crowds and widespread drinking contributed to fights and four shootings in the city early Saturday. None of the injuries were life-threatening and none of the shooting victims were Rutgers students.
But McCormick said in an email to the Rutgers community that the problems have grown beyond the university's capacity to manage them.
Friday's free concert on the Busch Campus in Piscataway drew between 40,000 and 50,000 people. That number included many not affiliated with Rutgers.
Afterward many went to bars and house parties in downtown New Brunswick.
new jersey, new brunswick, rutgers university, shooting, new jersey news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 2 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 20 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 9 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 49 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
2 min ago