New Jersey News
Panasonic to move N. American HQ to Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Electronics giant Panasonic is moving its North American headquarters from Secaucus to Newark.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker tells The Star-Ledger of Newark that the deal is "historic."
Panasonic is currently headquartered in nearby Secaucus. It will reportedly receive $102 million transit hub tax credit from the New Jersey Economic Development Authority for the move.
The company's current landlord is challenging the grant.
Secaucus Mayor Michael Gonnelli also opposes the move, saying one New Jersey community shouldn't be taking business from another.
New Jersey Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno and Panasonic executives will join mayor Booker at a Wednesday press conference to formally announce the deal.
The company was reportedly considering Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago or California for a new North American headquarters.
new jersey, newark, secaucus, new jersey news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 8 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
8 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
14 min ago