New Jersey News
Service dog spared life, but banished
RIVER VALE, N.J. (WABC) -- A service dog has been spared its life after it bit a neighbor's child, but the judge has said the dog cannot be returned to its family.
9-year-old Molly Kimball wept for her beloved pet Ava.
Molly has brain cancer.
Ava was her special service dog, trained to protect the child from falling due to dizzy spells.
But, their world was shattered in March when Ava got loose and attacked their neighbor and dear friend, 6-year-old Isabelle Gernhardt.
The bite to her face was so severe; Isabelle needed more than 100 stitches.
Both families with their lawyers arrived at municipal court to decide Ava's fate, and eventually agreed to banish the dog.
Molly lost her beloved dog, Isabelle lives with nightmares, and both girls lost each other and their once innocent friendship.
new jersey, dog, dog attack, new jersey news, lucy yang
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 6 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving 12 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 3 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
33 min ago