New Jersey News
Construction worker killed in accident in Union
UNION (WABC) -- A 33-year-old Newark man and father of two died when a six-ton roller he was operating toppled down a shallow embankment.
Authorities said Segundo Padilla, an employee of J.A. Alexander Inc. in Bloomfield, was smoothing part of a 1.45 mile path of the East Coast Greenway link in Union County on the border between Union and Kenilworth when the accident happened.
Padilla had smoothed over approximately500 feet of trail off Springfield Road and into Lenape Park when the Ingersoll Rand roller he was operating apparently toppled off an edge.
Union County Police and the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating the incident to determine whether he was wearing a seat belt.
An autopsy will be conducted by the Union County Medical Examiner to confirm the cause of death.
Padilla is survived by his wife and two young children.
new jersey, bloomfield, newark, union, accident, new jersey news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon