New Jersey News
Vigil held for wrong-way crash victim
ELIZABETH, N.J. (WABC) -- Friends and family held a vigil in honor of a young Elizabeth, New Jersey, man killed in a wrong-way crash in Newark.
They are coping with their grief by holding a candlelight vigil on a field, telling stories about a friend who was killed in a car crash on Route 1 & 9 in Newark.
"It all comes down to the guy we lost," said a friend.
Gustuvo Cunha, 23, was an aspiring musician, and according to the people who knew him best, a good person.
"I lost my heart. He was a true friend," one friend said.
Cunha was heading from a soccer game with friends at around 10 p.m. Monday.
He and two others were riding in a Mazda when a Toyota Forerunner with five people inside crashed into them.
Investigators believe the driver of the Toyota was going the wrong way on Route 1 & 9.
An 83-year-old died, and so did Gus Cunha.
At his home, a relative told Eyewitness News that his mother is distraught.
"She's devastated," the relative said.
She will soon bury her only child, the son she brought to the U.S. years ago from Brazil.
"I think she wanted him to have a better life," the relative said.
"You're always in our hearts," a friend said.
His friends say he lived life, and that's how they remember him now.
new jersey, wrong way driver, accident, elizabeth, newark, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 5 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos