New Jersey News
Smoking ban taking hold in Seaside Park
SEASIDE PARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A new law kicks in Seaside Park this summer that could have smokers paying a price.
Seaside is enforcing a law where lighting up at public recreation areas may lead to a fine and even community service.
As of this season, every corner of Seaside Park's one and a half mile oceanfront, including the boardwalk, will be a no smoking zone.
There is no need for smokers to even look for a smoking section in Seaside because the restriction covers everything.
Livia Mihalyi is one Seaside resident who is happy with the new law.
"We absolutely love it. It's so many times you try to sit away, the smoke comes and you can smell it," Mihalyi said.
The law is so close to going into effect that the signs are already going up at the borough's ballparks and marinas. That's right - no smoking at those places either.
The law was passed in Seaside for two main reasons. Seaside Park Administrator Robert Martucci feels it is partly because of the environment.
"Borough leaders say they're taking this barrier island into clean and green mode, encouraging homeowners and businesses to look into green energy like solar panels and wind turbines, electric cars and so on. It's all part of a big vision," Martucci said.
Seaside wants to present a clean and green environment. Cigarette butts choking up the boardwalk and beaches threaten that goal.
new jersey, seaside heights, smoking, new jersey news, toni yates
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ