New Jersey News
Mother charged in death of NJ girl, 8
NEWARK -- Authorities have charged a woman with manslaughter and child endangerment after her 8-year-old daughter was found dead in their New Jersey home. Authorities say the child was severely malnourished and had an untreated broken leg.
Thirty-year-old Venette Ovilde of Irvington has been charged with first-degree aggravated manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child.
The woman's roommate, 23-year-old Myriam Janvier, also has been charged with child endangerment.
It was not immediately known if they had retained lawyers.
Irvington police responded to a report of a child not breathing Sunday afternoon and pronounced the child dead at the scene.
An autopsy ruled the child's death a homicide.
Prosecutors say the child's 7-year-old sister and 6 -year-old brother were hospitalized, suffering from malnutrition and other injuries.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Teen clerk beaten in Queens deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 55 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 32 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos