New Jersey News
Mother charged in death of NJ girl, 8
NEWARK -- Authorities have charged a woman with manslaughter and child endangerment after her 8-year-old daughter was found dead in their New Jersey home. Authorities say the child was severely malnourished and had an untreated broken leg.
Thirty-year-old Venette Ovilde of Irvington has been charged with first-degree aggravated manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child.
The woman's roommate, 23-year-old Myriam Janvier, also has been charged with child endangerment.
It was not immediately known if they had retained lawyers.
Irvington police responded to a report of a child not breathing Sunday afternoon and pronounced the child dead at the scene.
An autopsy ruled the child's death a homicide.
Prosecutors say the child's 7-year-old sister and 6 -year-old brother were hospitalized, suffering from malnutrition and other injuries.
new jersey, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos