New Jersey News
Mother charged in death of NJ girl, 8
NEWARK -- Authorities have charged a woman with manslaughter and child endangerment after her 8-year-old daughter was found dead in their New Jersey home. Authorities say the child was severely malnourished and had an untreated broken leg.
Thirty-year-old Venette Ovilde of Irvington has been charged with first-degree aggravated manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child.
The woman's roommate, 23-year-old Myriam Janvier, also has been charged with child endangerment.
It was not immediately known if they had retained lawyers.
Irvington police responded to a report of a child not breathing Sunday afternoon and pronounced the child dead at the scene.
An autopsy ruled the child's death a homicide.
Prosecutors say the child's 7-year-old sister and 6 -year-old brother were hospitalized, suffering from malnutrition and other injuries.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Belmar reopens boardwalk destroyed by Sandy
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos