New Jersey News
Electric fire deemed cause of blaze at NJ plant
BAYONNE, N.J. (WABC) -- A public safety official says a fire that broke out at a large chemical processing facility in northern New Jersey doesn't appear to be chemical in nature and says residents aren't in any danger.
The fire started at the plant at around 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
The flames tore through part of the facility and the thick black smoke billowed into the sky.
You could see it from miles away.
"It doesn't smell too good, I'll tell you that. I don't think it's good, don't know what's burning, don't know what it is," said Bill McGovern, a Bayonne resident.
But that wasn't the only thing that concerned nearby residents.
One man, a marine, says he heard loud explosions as well.
"It sounded like a bunch of dynamite going off," said Pedro Martinez, a Bayonne resident.
A chemical plant, The International Matex Tank Terminal had caught on fire.
It's a 500 acre facility with heavy security.
Even as the fire burned, police kept Eyewitness News' cameras back.
"It's a chemical fire. We don't know if there are hazardous materials or anything that can get into your lungs, so at this point we need you guys to back away," the security official said.
Authorities now say the fire does not pose a threat to the public.
They say the chemicals are not the source of the fire and insist that something electrical may have sparked the flames.
Still, it was terrifying for some of the residents who didn't know what to expect as they watched the plant burn in the distance.
"Coming home to the black sky was scary," said Adeline Martinez, a Bayonne resident.
new jersey, fire, bayonne, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 40 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 22 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 20 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
22 min ago