New Jersey News
Wood-Ridge High School teacher remembered
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- Every teacher hopes to leave a lasting impression on their students. John Bischoff did just that.
Dozens of students from Wood-Ridge High School in New Jersey held a candle light vigil in his honor Monday night.
Boschoff died last week after a weight bar collapsed on his neck as he worked out.
Whenever John Bischoff had a free moment he'd take a couple of laps around the track.
Monday night, dozens of his students at Wood-Ridge High followed his spirit.
Bischoff was not just a high school history and economics teacher.
He was not just the former baseball coach.
By all accounts, he was a teacher extraordinaire, and for many a second father.
The 47-year-old teacher died this weekend from a freak accident.
Eyewitness News was told he was working out in the weight room on Monday when the weight bar fell on his neck and blocked his airway.
He spent the next 5 days on life support.
During that time, students desperately folded 1,000 origami cranes, hoping on the legend that you can then make a wish.
But not even all this love could bring him back to life.
So, students past and present, teachers, and fellow classmates who went to this same high school with Bischoff more than two decades ago remembered a bigger than life man.
They remembered a muscular teacher with a big tough exterior who was all heart inside.
If only every high school had a Mr. Bischoff.
new jersey, accidental death, teacher, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 56 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 21 min ago
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead
- Suspect sought for stealing puppy from LI pet store
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
21 min ago