New Jersey News
Irvington police officer wounds teen suspect
IRVINGTON, N.J. -- Essex County authorities say a 15-year-old Newark boy was shot and slightly wounded by a police officer during a scuffle inside an Irvington apartment building.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the teen was grazed in the shoulder.
The teen has been charged with assaulting a police officer.
The shooting occurred at about 12:35 a.m. Friday. Irvington police responded to a call about youths damaging a vehicle and soon spotted the 15-year-old and a 16-year-old boy who fit the caller's description.
The older teen ran off but was soon caught. He hasn't been charged.
The other youth ran into the apartment hallway. Authorities say the officer feared for his life and drew his service weapon.
The shooting will be reviewed by the prosecutor's office.
Names of those involved were not released.
new jersey, irvington, shooting, new jersey news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 59 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos