New Jersey News
New Meadowlands Stadium gets new name
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The new home of the New York Jets and Giants is now called MetLife Stadium.
Insurance giant MetLife finalized a deal to buy the naming rights for the $1.6 billion stadium that will be the site of the 2014 Super Bowl.
The Jets and Giants will reportedly split $17 million to $20 million each year over 20 years for the deal.
The teams privately built the stadium, which has been known as New Meadowlands Stadium since opening last year.
The Giants and Jets were close to a deal with Allianz in 2008 that would have been worth an estimated $30 million annually.
Negotiations, however, ended when it was disclosed the that the German insurance company once had ties to the Nazis, a revelation that brought criticism from Jewish organizations, Holocaust survivors and some football fans.
new jersey, new york jets, new york giants, new jersey news
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire 32 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 6 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 13 min ago
- Residents protest bike sharing program 7 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Weather makes for disappointing start to...
15 min ago
- Protestors against location of bike share...
4 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
6 min ago