New Jersey News
Montclair woman's death investigated as homicide
MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- Authorities say the death of a woman whose body was found inside her northern New Jersey apartment appears to be a homicide.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray confirmed that 31-year-old Shazina Chan was found dead Monday morning at her Montclair residence. But Murray wouldn't provide further details on the matter, citing an ongoing investigation.
Montclair Police Chief David Sabagh said Chan's death was considered "suspicious," adding that she appears to have been the victim of sustained trauma. But he would not disclose further details on her injuries.
Murray said an autopsy was planned, but it was not known when the results would be released.
Neighbors declined comment on the incident, but some said several police officers had been in and out of the building during the morning hours.
new jersey, montclair, crime, murder, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for NYC 15 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 17 min ago
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting 10 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 5 min ago
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident 16 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for...
15 min ago