New Jersey News
Montclair woman's death investigated as homicide
MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- Authorities say the death of a woman whose body was found inside her northern New Jersey apartment appears to be a homicide.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray confirmed that 31-year-old Shazina Chan was found dead Monday morning at her Montclair residence. But Murray wouldn't provide further details on the matter, citing an ongoing investigation.
Montclair Police Chief David Sabagh said Chan's death was considered "suspicious," adding that she appears to have been the victim of sustained trauma. But he would not disclose further details on her injuries.
Murray said an autopsy was planned, but it was not known when the results would be released.
Neighbors declined comment on the incident, but some said several police officers had been in and out of the building during the morning hours.
new jersey, montclair, crime, murder, new jersey news
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations 7 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament 37 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos