New Jersey News
Rabies kills 73-year old woman
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- State health officials say a 73-year-old woman who contracted rabies from a dog bite in her native Haiti has died in a North Jersey hospital.
The state Health Department said the woman showed symptoms on June 25 while visiting family in Union County. She had been hospitalized at Overlook Medical Center in Summit since July 2 but may have been infectious as of June 11.
Acting Health Commissioner Dr. Tina Tan says the risk of infection to health care workers and others who may have been in contact with the woman is "extremely low."
Rabies deaths are rare. In 1997, a Warren County man died after removing several bats from his home. Before that, the most recent human case in New Jersey was in 1971.
new jersey, dog attack, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos