New Jersey News
Rabies kills 73-year old woman
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- State health officials say a 73-year-old woman who contracted rabies from a dog bite in her native Haiti has died in a North Jersey hospital.
The state Health Department said the woman showed symptoms on June 25 while visiting family in Union County. She had been hospitalized at Overlook Medical Center in Summit since July 2 but may have been infectious as of June 11.
Acting Health Commissioner Dr. Tina Tan says the risk of infection to health care workers and others who may have been in contact with the woman is "extremely low."
Rabies deaths are rare. In 1997, a Warren County man died after removing several bats from his home. Before that, the most recent human case in New Jersey was in 1971.
new jersey, dog attack, new jersey news
- Worker trapped in waist-deep mud in Queens trench 12 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 37 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb 7 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush 35 min ago
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault 12 min ago
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
37 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
35 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
55 min ago