New Jersey News
Rabies kills 73-year old woman
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- State health officials say a 73-year-old woman who contracted rabies from a dog bite in her native Haiti has died in a North Jersey hospital.
The state Health Department said the woman showed symptoms on June 25 while visiting family in Union County. She had been hospitalized at Overlook Medical Center in Summit since July 2 but may have been infectious as of June 11.
Acting Health Commissioner Dr. Tina Tan says the risk of infection to health care workers and others who may have been in contact with the woman is "extremely low."
Rabies deaths are rare. In 1997, a Warren County man died after removing several bats from his home. Before that, the most recent human case in New Jersey was in 1971.
new jersey, dog attack, new jersey news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 20 min ago
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 17 min ago
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
57 min ago