New Jersey News
Bus driver, aide arrested in child left on bus case
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- A bus driver and aide have been arrested for leaving a young child behind on a private transport bus for several hours earlier this week.
Bus driver, Lorine Balkaran, 56, and aide, Kyshon William, 25, both of Jersey City, are charged with child abuse/neglect charges for their roles in Wednesday's incident.
According to police, the pair violated Atlantic Express Bus Company police when they failed to check their bus to make sure no children were left behind prior to parking the bus back in the depot parking lot.
Police believe the 4-year-old, who is described as a child with special needs, remained on the bus from 7:45 am until being found by a bus company custodian. That happened at 1:00 p.m.
The bus company custodian got the child some water and alerted police. The child was treated at a local hospital, evaluated and released to his parents shortly thereafter after showing no ill effects from the prolonged exposure on the bus during the heat wave, officials said.
Atlantic express bus company is privately contracted to provide transport of children by the Jersey City Board of Education.
new jersey, jersey city, child left on bus, new jersey news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather 31 min ago
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Three males in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death 46 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives inspirational speech to Morehouse graduates 8 min ago
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport