New Jersey News
Continental cancels 24 flights over crew issue
NEWARK, N.J. -- Continental Airlines canceled 24 flights Wednesday, most of them out of Newark Liberty International Airport, due to "crew availability" problems.
Continental operates a large hub out of Newark and has about 3,000 daily flights system-wide. It was working to get customers on alternate flights.
Airline spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said that the cancellations were "due to lack of crew availability" but declined to elaborate. Air Line Pilots Association spokeswoman Amy Flanagan declined to comment.
United Airlines bought Continental last year and has been trying to combine them into a single airline. The process has been slower than expected, partly because of contentious labor negotiations.
Jeff Smisek, the CEO of United Continental Holdings Inc., said last week that it was unlikely the company could agree to labor contracts with all its unions this year.
The company said it has more pilots this summer than last summer. Company spokeswoman Julie King said the Air Line Pilots Association, which represents pilots at both airlines, "participates in our monthly review to set staffing levels."
new jersey, air travel, newark international airport, continental airlines, new jersey news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 40 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 37 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 34 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
16 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos