New Jersey News
Ferocious rain storm downs trees in Linden
LINDEN, N.J. (WABC) -- Neighbors say the fierce weather blew in so quickly, just 10-15 minutes was all it took to leave destruction behind.
"It just rained really hard, it all happened so fast," said Darryl Massey, a Linden resident.
"Coming home was like a warzone, oh my goodness," said Lisa Quinerly, a Linden resident.
Earlier Monday evening, strong winds followed heavy rains in Linden.
The one-two punch hit just one ward out of 10, a group of several blocks represented by Councilman Derek Armstead.
"We've got everything under control. We have DPW out here, removing trees. The fire department has blocked off areas for passage and I would think five to six hours back to normal around here," Councilman Armstead said.
Town officials, firefighters, and the Department of Public Works all responded to the area.
The mayor said extra public works crews would work overtime Monday night.
With the clean up quickly underway and the dramatic weather over and done with, residents and officials watched the effort with gratitude and relief, many acknowledging that the ferocious winds claimed trees and power lines but nothing else.
DPW crews in Linden were zeroing in on a house where a tree brought down power lines.
PSE&G needs to cut the power and then DPW can cut down the tree and the rest of the repair work can proceed from there.
new jersey, linden, storm damage, storm, new jersey news, jamie roth
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 16 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 29 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 26 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 4 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos