New Jersey News
NJ gov 'unlikely' to support NJ-NY toll hike plan
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- The toll hikes are keeping New Jersey Governor Chris Christie busy. The Port Authority is standing firm behind a proposed four-dollar increase for bridges and tunnels that would raise the toll to $12 from the current eight bucks. This Brooklyn taxi driver crosses regularly.
"I'm already paying a lot for gas," said Marc Gantt, a Brooklyn taxi driver who crosses regularly.
And PATH train commuters would pay 65-percent more to ride. an average $1.75 fare, could go to about $2.90.
"If they want to raise it again, it will encourage people to stay in Jersey City and not go to Manhattan," said Jersey City resident Lina Husain.
Jersey City leaders are dead set against it, mayor and council last night unanimously approved a resolution against it.
"This is the absolute worst time to raise tolls and fares during what I call the 'Second Great Depression,'" said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healey.
The Port Authority says the big hike is needed to cover the cost of rebuilding the World Trade Center site, enhancing security on its properties, and bridges and road maintenance. Both Governors Christie and Cuomo, have the right to veto the Port Authority's decision. Governor Christie says they both want smaller increases.
"There's no reason for such a steep increase, and we want to know what they've been spending their money on," said New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
Public hearings begin on Tuesday and the Port Authority votes August 19th.
new jersey, chris christie, port authority, new jersey news, toni yates
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park