New Jersey News
NJ rabbi accused of molesting teens from Israel
TEANECK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police say a rabbi in New Jersey took exchange students from Israel into his home and then molested them.
People came to evening prayer service at an orthodox synagogue in Teaneck Tuesday night, unaware that one of their own had been arrested.
Rabbi Uzi Rivlin is now accused of sexually abusing at least two teenage boys from Israel.
According to the Bergen County Prosecutors Office, the 63-year-old rabbi was involved with a charity which brought disadvantaged children from Israel to the United States to spend the summer.
Eyewitness News is told Rivlin hosted some of the boys at his home on Lindbergh Boulevard in Teaneck, and that's where the alleged attack took place.
There's no comment from the family.
But according to one friend at Congregation Beth Aaron the charges are inconsistent with the man he knows, the man who worked so hard for the children.
Both of the accusers are 13 years old.
One of the boys stayed at his home last summer, and the other two years ago.
But instead of an adventure full of fun, authorities say the boys went home with a secret nightmare.
They eventually told their family and the Israeli police how Rivlin allegedly touched them in inappropriate ways.
The county prosecutor's office and FBI were then called to investigate.
Rivlin faces charges of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
He has since had to surrender his passport and is now being help on $175,000 bail.
new jersey, teaneck, child sex assault, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers