New Jersey News
NJ rabbi accused of molesting teens from Israel
TEANECK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police say a rabbi in New Jersey took exchange students from Israel into his home and then molested them.
People came to evening prayer service at an orthodox synagogue in Teaneck Tuesday night, unaware that one of their own had been arrested.
Rabbi Uzi Rivlin is now accused of sexually abusing at least two teenage boys from Israel.
According to the Bergen County Prosecutors Office, the 63-year-old rabbi was involved with a charity which brought disadvantaged children from Israel to the United States to spend the summer.
Eyewitness News is told Rivlin hosted some of the boys at his home on Lindbergh Boulevard in Teaneck, and that's where the alleged attack took place.
There's no comment from the family.
But according to one friend at Congregation Beth Aaron the charges are inconsistent with the man he knows, the man who worked so hard for the children.
Both of the accusers are 13 years old.
One of the boys stayed at his home last summer, and the other two years ago.
But instead of an adventure full of fun, authorities say the boys went home with a secret nightmare.
They eventually told their family and the Israeli police how Rivlin allegedly touched them in inappropriate ways.
The county prosecutor's office and FBI were then called to investigate.
Rivlin faces charges of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
He has since had to surrender his passport and is now being help on $175,000 bail.
new jersey, teaneck, child sex assault, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 50 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 49 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 38 min ago