New Jersey News
NJ rabbi accused of molesting teens from Israel
TEANECK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police say a rabbi in New Jersey took exchange students from Israel into his home and then molested them.
People came to evening prayer service at an orthodox synagogue in Teaneck Tuesday night, unaware that one of their own had been arrested.
Rabbi Uzi Rivlin is now accused of sexually abusing at least two teenage boys from Israel.
According to the Bergen County Prosecutors Office, the 63-year-old rabbi was involved with a charity which brought disadvantaged children from Israel to the United States to spend the summer.
Eyewitness News is told Rivlin hosted some of the boys at his home on Lindbergh Boulevard in Teaneck, and that's where the alleged attack took place.
There's no comment from the family.
But according to one friend at Congregation Beth Aaron the charges are inconsistent with the man he knows, the man who worked so hard for the children.
Both of the accusers are 13 years old.
One of the boys stayed at his home last summer, and the other two years ago.
But instead of an adventure full of fun, authorities say the boys went home with a secret nightmare.
They eventually told their family and the Israeli police how Rivlin allegedly touched them in inappropriate ways.
The county prosecutor's office and FBI were then called to investigate.
Rivlin faces charges of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
He has since had to surrender his passport and is now being help on $175,000 bail.
new jersey, teaneck, child sex assault, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
26 min ago