New Jersey News
Newark airport to get new body scan technology
NEWARK -- Travelers passing through Newark Liberty Airport soon won't have to have their body images displayed when they pass through security checkpoints.
The Transportation Security Administration is set to unveil new body scan technology at the airport on Friday.
Newark will be the first airport in the New York region to get the new technology. It will be installed in about 40 airports over the next several months.
The TSA says the new scanners will detect potential threat items but will produce a generic, computerized outline of the person's body.
The body imaging machines currently in use have been heavily criticized for showing images of naked bodies.
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, newark international airport, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 4 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured 25 min ago
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma