New Jersey News
Three hurt after explosion in NJ home
MANVILLE, N.J. (WABC) -- Two utility workers were seriously injured after a boiler exploded in a New Jersey home.
The Manville fire department initially responded to the call of a gas explosion with injuries.
When they arrived they found two PSE&G employees who were injured.
They had been called to work on that boiler before it blew up.
Building officials are trying to figure out if the house is structurally sound.
The staircase leading to the basement was completely destroyed.
Both employees sustained severe steam burns.
One of the workers was thrown several feet because of the blast.
Both workers were airlifted to local hospitals for treatment.
The home owner was also injured in the explosion.
The 88-year-old homeowner was transported to Somerset Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries and released.
The two PSE&G workers, a 54-year-old of Collingswood, N.J. and a 32-year-old of West Deptford, N.J. were injured and taken to area trauma centers.
Fire officials say the utility workers were responding to the boiler because pressure has been building in it.
Detectives from the Manville Police Department, the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office and specialists from PSE&G investigated the cause of the explosion.
The investigation revealed that a boiler located in the basement of the home overheated and exploded.
The cause of the explosion was found to be non-suspicious in nature.
Detectives believe a malfunction in the boiler was responsible for the explosion and the investigation is ongoing to determine the exact cause.
new jersey, explosion, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 17 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 16 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 7 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 5 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos