New Jersey News
Three hurt after explosion in NJ home
MANVILLE, N.J. (WABC) -- Two utility workers were seriously injured after a boiler exploded in a New Jersey home.
The Manville fire department initially responded to the call of a gas explosion with injuries.
When they arrived they found two PSE&G employees who were injured.
They had been called to work on that boiler before it blew up.
Building officials are trying to figure out if the house is structurally sound.
The staircase leading to the basement was completely destroyed.
Both employees sustained severe steam burns.
One of the workers was thrown several feet because of the blast.
Both workers were airlifted to local hospitals for treatment.
The home owner was also injured in the explosion.
The 88-year-old homeowner was transported to Somerset Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries and released.
The two PSE&G workers, a 54-year-old of Collingswood, N.J. and a 32-year-old of West Deptford, N.J. were injured and taken to area trauma centers.
Fire officials say the utility workers were responding to the boiler because pressure has been building in it.
Detectives from the Manville Police Department, the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office and specialists from PSE&G investigated the cause of the explosion.
The investigation revealed that a boiler located in the basement of the home overheated and exploded.
The cause of the explosion was found to be non-suspicious in nature.
Detectives believe a malfunction in the boiler was responsible for the explosion and the investigation is ongoing to determine the exact cause.
new jersey, explosion, new jersey news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 48 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
48 min ago
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer this...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos