New Jersey News
Flood warnings remain in parts of north Jersey
LITTLE FALLS, N.J. -- It could be Wednesday before New Jersey rivers swollen by rain from Hurricane Irene and remnants of Tropical Storm Lee fall below flood stage.
Moderate flooding is occurring.
Forecasters say the river will continue to fall below flood stage at Little Falls by Tuesday afternoon and at Pine Brook by Wednesday.
The river forced hundreds from their homes and the back-to-back storms slowed restoration efforts.
Meanwhile, more than two weeks after Irene landed, some people still remain in shelters.
Hundreds sought shelter immediately after the rain-swollen Passaic River washed through Paterson, flooding the downtown area.
Most returned home within a few days, but county officials say 74 people were still living in shelters as of Monday.
President Obama toured Paterson on Sept. 4 and said the federal government would work to rebuild towns recovering from Hurricane Irene's wrath.
Officials say more than 31,000 New Jersey residents have filed claims with the Federal Emergency Management Agency seeking help paying for damage. And nearly $38 million has been disbursed so far.
FEMA regional spokesman Bill McDonnell says the hardest hit areas were Bergen and Passaic, with each topping 4,000 claims so far.
new jersey, hurricane irene, hurricane, barack obama, passaic river, paterson, new jersey news
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 40 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 50 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner 45 min ago
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars 42 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
40 min ago
- Winners crowned on' Dancing With The Stars'
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos