New Jersey News
Flood warnings remain in parts of north Jersey
LITTLE FALLS, N.J. -- It could be Wednesday before New Jersey rivers swollen by rain from Hurricane Irene and remnants of Tropical Storm Lee fall below flood stage.
Moderate flooding is occurring.
Forecasters say the river will continue to fall below flood stage at Little Falls by Tuesday afternoon and at Pine Brook by Wednesday.
The river forced hundreds from their homes and the back-to-back storms slowed restoration efforts.
Meanwhile, more than two weeks after Irene landed, some people still remain in shelters.
Hundreds sought shelter immediately after the rain-swollen Passaic River washed through Paterson, flooding the downtown area.
Most returned home within a few days, but county officials say 74 people were still living in shelters as of Monday.
President Obama toured Paterson on Sept. 4 and said the federal government would work to rebuild towns recovering from Hurricane Irene's wrath.
Officials say more than 31,000 New Jersey residents have filed claims with the Federal Emergency Management Agency seeking help paying for damage. And nearly $38 million has been disbursed so far.
FEMA regional spokesman Bill McDonnell says the hardest hit areas were Bergen and Passaic, with each topping 4,000 claims so far.
new jersey, hurricane irene, hurricane, barack obama, passaic river, paterson, new jersey news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 19 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 19 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- Snow coming down in New York City 35 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 51 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 7 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos