New Jersey News
More tragedy on the tracks in New Jersey
GARFIELD, N.J. (WABC) -- A 7th-grade student from Garfield Middle School was struck and killed by a train he didn't know was coming.
Grief counselors will be on hand at school in Garfield Tuesday after a 7th-grade student was killed by a New Jersey Transit train Monday. Less than 24 hours earlier, two other teens were killed by a train in Wayne.
Garfield superintendent Nicholas Perrapato said the 13-year-old victim, who was identified as Michael Cabaj, was heading home from cross-country practice just before the 4:51 p.m. incident at the Outwater Lane Crossing, near the Plauderville station.
A teenage witness waiting to cross the tracks saw Cabaj standing on the sidewalk. The witness says he watched as Cabaj waited for a westbound train to pass, then went underneath the crossing gate riding his kick scooter, not realizing an eastbound train was coming from the other direction.
The witness says Michael froze for just a second, not sure what to do. Then he was hit and killed.
The accident shut down NJ Transit's Bergen Line for several hours between Glen Rock and Rutherford as police investigated the accident.
Authorities say that not long before the accident, Cabaj was offered a ride home, which he declined.
An NJ Transit spokeswoman confirmed that Monday's accident was not the first fatality at the Outwater Lane crossing. And Michael's death was not the first of the week.
On Sunday, two other teens were struck and killed by an NJ Transit train as they crossed a trestle in Wayne.
Police say those victims were killed while on the bridge that travels over Route 46 at around 9:45 p.m. They were pronounced dead at the scene.
A third teen, a 15-year-old from Little Falls, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital with non life-threatening injuries sustained in the incident.
new jersey, train accident, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break repaired 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 2 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 4 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos