New Jersey News
Suspect in Newark cop killing out on bail
NEWARK (WABC) -- There is outrage in Newark after a suspected killer walked out of jail.
He's accused of killing an off-duty Newark police officer.
Officer William Johnson was not the intended target of a gunman's rampage outside Texas Fried Chicken, back in May.
But it doesn't matter.
A bullet struck and killed the 16-year veteran of the Newark PD.
With it, two young ladies lost their father.
Their cousin, Rev. Donald Boughton says with suspect Rasul McNeil Thomas now on bail, hurt emerges again.
McNeil Thomas was arrested for murder and weapons charges, bail originally set at $1.5 million.
But McNeil Thomas's public defender introduced enough questions in the case surrounding witness statements, to get a judge to lower bail to $250,000.
The 20-year-old made it this week.
Officer Johnson's sister, Gail Timmons said by phone from North Carolina, "I am appalled, shocked, hurt, and distraught. It is a slap in the face to every police officer."
It also raises some fear in the family about evidence.
Rev. Donald was Officer Johnson's cousin.
When the officer died, the reverend picked up the baton as best he could, joining the police dept's clergy alliance.
new jersey, newark, police officer killed, police officer shot, new jersey news, toni yates
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos