New Jersey News
Suspect in Newark cop killing out on bail
NEWARK (WABC) -- There is outrage in Newark after a suspected killer walked out of jail.
He's accused of killing an off-duty Newark police officer.
Officer William Johnson was not the intended target of a gunman's rampage outside Texas Fried Chicken, back in May.
But it doesn't matter.
A bullet struck and killed the 16-year veteran of the Newark PD.
With it, two young ladies lost their father.
Their cousin, Rev. Donald Boughton says with suspect Rasul McNeil Thomas now on bail, hurt emerges again.
McNeil Thomas was arrested for murder and weapons charges, bail originally set at $1.5 million.
But McNeil Thomas's public defender introduced enough questions in the case surrounding witness statements, to get a judge to lower bail to $250,000.
The 20-year-old made it this week.
Officer Johnson's sister, Gail Timmons said by phone from North Carolina, "I am appalled, shocked, hurt, and distraught. It is a slap in the face to every police officer."
It also raises some fear in the family about evidence.
Rev. Donald was Officer Johnson's cousin.
When the officer died, the reverend picked up the baton as best he could, joining the police dept's clergy alliance.
new jersey, newark, police officer killed, police officer shot, new jersey news, toni yates
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 3 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos