New Jersey News
NJ teacher criticized for Facebook remarks on gays
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- A teacher in New Jersey is in trouble for calling homosexuality "perverted".
She apparently made the comments on Facebook in response to her school's display recognizing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender history month.
There were pictures posted of gay celebrities.
English teacher Viki Knox was apparently offended and took to her personal Facebook page to vent.
"I think the battle lines are going to be drawn soon." she says.
Almost immediately responses to her comments began to post and Ms Knox continued to answer them, and add to them.
"Union is not South Orange, Maplewood where one out of four families consist of two mommies or daddies (I'm exaggerating). Why parade your unnatural immoral behaviors before the rest of us" she states.
Attorney John Paragano saw the comments and drafted a letter to the school superintendent.
"This is not speech this is hate speech. They are not protected by the first amendment," he said.
That's up for discussion, but he's not alone.
"How can we let a teacher get away with this venomous crap? It's outrageous," said Steven Goldstein, with Garden State Equality. He is calling for Knox to be fired.
As more and more people posted, some angry, some in agreement, Knox wrote about her Christian beliefs.
Speaking of god, she writes, "He created you not to practice homosexuality and I love you too! That's what I teach and preach"
When speaking of those who disagree, she says "The rest of you open-minded lovers of your flesh and not the spirit of Christ".
Knox wasn't home this afternoon, but she was escorted off campus by the principal.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos