New Jersey News
NJ guardsman killed in Afghanistan
NEWARK, N.J. -- An Army National Guardsman from Newark, N.J., has been killed in Afghanistan.
The Guard says 33-year-old Staff Sgt. Jorge Miguel Oliveira was killed Wednesday when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device.
Oliveira was assigned to the Security Forces Platoon of the 2nd Battalion, 113th Infantry Regiment. The Riverdale-based unit deployed to Afghanistan in June and was assigned to a provincial reconstruction team.
Oliveira joined the National Guard in 2003. He had served three years on Army active duty starting in 1997.
He is survived by his mother and father and a brother and sister.
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 1 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos