New Jersey News
NJ guardsman killed in Afghanistan
NEWARK, N.J. -- An Army National Guardsman from Newark, N.J., has been killed in Afghanistan.
The Guard says 33-year-old Staff Sgt. Jorge Miguel Oliveira was killed Wednesday when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device.
Oliveira was assigned to the Security Forces Platoon of the 2nd Battalion, 113th Infantry Regiment. The Riverdale-based unit deployed to Afghanistan in June and was assigned to a provincial reconstruction team.
Oliveira joined the National Guard in 2003. He had served three years on Army active duty starting in 1997.
He is survived by his mother and father and a brother and sister.
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen