New Jersey News
Ohio farmer delivers pumpkins to NJ
PATERSON (WABC) -- The sound of a happy child is exactly what Greg Clement drove 8 hours to hear.
"We're gonna put some smiles on kids faces who otherwise wouldn't have had a pumpkin for Halloween," he said.
Greg is a farmer from Ohio. A few weeks ago he was reading about how Hurricane Irene killed a good part of the pumpkin crop on the east coast.
The thought of a child without a pumpkin for Halloween was unacceptable to him.
"It's not like we are curing a disease of the world financial crisis here, but it is a good will gesture," Greg said.
His gesture: to pack this truck full of just over 2000 pumpkins.
He had plenty of help back in Ohio. Volunteers, young and old, formed a line and one by one the pumpkins were loaded.
About 1,000 pumpkins were unloaded in Paterson, and the rest taken to Ringwood, where an urban farm lost its pumpkin patch during Irene. Greg heard about that too.
Two of his sons made the trip with him. They couldn't be prouder to be a part of their dad's wonderful act of kindness.
"I think it's pretty cool to be able to bring all these pumpkins here and to be able to give then away," 9-year-old Jonah said.
"I couldn't imagine a Thanksgiving or Halloween without a pumpkin. So it feels really good to bring them here," added 11-year-old Manny.
Hundreds of children will pick through the patch of pumpkins, and be that much happier this Halloween.
For Greg, that's mission accomplished!
new jersey, passaic, paterson, hurricane irene, pumpkins, new jersey news, phil lipof
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 9 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary 9 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
46 min ago