New Jersey News
New Jersey Transit driver stabbed by passenger
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey Transit bus driver continues to recover from multiple stab wounds after being attacked on a bus.
The bus driver was just doing his job, driving a bus through Newark, when a passenger, a man with a knife, lashed out.
According to police, the driver had pulled up to the bus stop on Hawthorne Ave, and was letting off passengers when the rider as he was exiting, pulled out a knife and suddenly, savagely began attacking the driver.
A relative of the driver tells Eyewitness News, the victim was stabbed 7 times, in the head, neck, arms, hands, back, and side.
One of the plunges just barely missing the carotid artery in the neck.
The driver was able to stumble off the bus for help.
Sunday at the scene, it is pretty much back to normal. But life behind the wheel will never feel normal again for the 42-year-old driver.
His family has since contacted a lawyer. They were not ready to discuss the attack on camera.
As for the knife wielding stabber, police arrested 26-year-old Maurice Young at the scene Saturday night. No word yet on a motive
The victim was released from the hospital early Sunday afternoon and is recovering at home.
new jersey, new jersey transit, new jersey news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers