New Jersey News
Second arrest in Newark teen beating
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Newark have arrested a second person in the brutal beating and robbery of a high school student caught on surveillance video.
The second suspect, a 17 year old, was picked up by police late Wednesday night.
They say he was one of at least a dozen teens who attacked a 15 year old Barringer High School student on Bloomfield Avenue nine days ago.
A 15 year old suspect was previous taken into custody.
The unprovoked attack was all caught on camera. You can see the teenagers kicking and punching the teen senselessly, leaving him bloodied on the sidewalk.
The 15-year-old was outnumbered and absorbing punches and kicks from all directions.
The Barrington High School student was down on the ground and down for the count, but that didn't stop the group of teens from unleashing a brutal beating that sent the 15-year-old to the hospital.
"The first blow was to his head," the victim's family member said.
One of his relatives is speaking out, but is reluctant to identify himself, concerned that the teenager could be targeted again.
Newark cops are continuing to investigate and expect to make more arrests.
Mayor Corey Booker released a statement: "We are appalled that this brutal act of violence was committed by a group of Newark high school students. The City of Newark and its residents will not tolerate school bullying."
The 15-year-old is out of the hospital. Eyewitness News obtained a photograph of some of the injuries he sustained to his face.
"He's obviously a little shaken by the situation," the victim's family member said.
Relatives say that physically he's recovering, but emotionally after an attack like this there will be a long road back to normal.
"He doesn't know why they attacked him or who attacked him," the victim's family member said.
new jersey, newark, assault, new jersey news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 5 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 37 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
53 min ago