New Jersey News
Two giraffes, other animals die in NJ
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- A fire has killed a mother giraffe, its 3-week-old calf and a collection of exotic birds at a New Jersey zoo where the owner's wife died in a fire months ago.
Animal Kingdom Zoo owner Burton Sipp says three dogs and four cats also perished in Sunday night's fire.
It's the second fire to strike the private zoo in central New Jersey's Springfield Township this year. Bridget Sipp was killed in April when a fire burned the couple's log cabin on the property. No animals were hurt then.
Burton Sipp says he flew home from Phoenix early Monday after hearing about this weekend's fire. He says the zoo's seven remaining giraffes are being moved to the Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park for now. He says he hopes to rebuild.
new jersey, fire, animals, new jersey news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday 52 min ago
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport 47 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court 52 min ago
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday