New Jersey News
Workers get stuck high in the air in Morristown
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (WABC) -- It took three tries, but crews successfully rescued two workers who became stuck in a lift more than 100 feet off the ground in Morristown, New Jersey.
As rescuers tried one thing after another to get those men down, the crowd below grew bigger and bigger.
For three hours those workers were trapped more than 100 feet in the air against a bell tower.
Applause and cheers erupted as the two workers were brought back to solid ground.
Around 1:30 Thursday afternoon the ultra boom hydraulic man lift the men were standing on got jammed against the side of this building-trapping them more than one hundred feet in the air.
"We were getting shots from the other side because you could see much from over here. It was some rescue that was going on," said Bruce Baxter, an eyewitness.
The workers were examining pigeon holes in the bell tower of the Morristown United Methodist Church.
Crew members on the ground immediately called for help when they saw the men were in trouble.
First, rescuers tried fire truck ladders but they were all too short.
Then, the state police sent out a helicopter.
Finally, a crane company hoisted firefighters to the trapped workers.
"Before we moved them we put an additional piece of floor protection in place. Then they transferred over to over cage. They were safe and tied off. It was just a matter of open the gates and come on over," said D.J. Brightly, a Morristown Firefighter.
A crowd of about 300 people watched as the men descended safely down.
Some spectators couldn't help but snap photos and grab video of all the action.
"The rescue was an amazing thing. They did a great job, a great job," two eyewitnesses said.
A cousin of one of the workers told Eyewitness News over the phone the men are fine but a little embarrassed about what happened.
new jersey, morristown, rescue, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen