New Jersey News
Off-duty cop fatally shot in New Jersey
PATERSON (WABC) -- An off-duty Newark police detective was fatally shot while apparently trying to stop a robbery in Paterson early Monday.
Police say the officer, identified as 32-year-old Michael Morgan, was shot outside a strip club on Getty Avenue just after 3 a.m.
He was rushed to St. Joseph's Hospital, located just down the street from the club, where he later died.
"Our condolences go out to the family of Detective Michael Morgan," Mayor Cory Booker said. "Detective Morgan was a proud and courageous servant of our city. His loss is tragic, and the circumstances of his death make it all the more painful. Our prayers are with his family and all who knew and loved this great man."
Morgan was apparently inside the strip club with friends and was leaving when he stopped outside to talk to one of the dancers. Both were then approached by an armed man who police say had just pulled off a robbery a few blocks away.
Witnesses said the suspect was grabbing for the woman's purse. When the detective intervened, he was shot.
The suspect fled on foot. No arrests were immediately made. It's unclear if Morgan ever had a chance to identify himself as a police officer.
Police cordoned off the area as the search for the suspect continues.
new jersey, paterson, newark, police officer killed, shooting, new jersey news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 34 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth 3 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog 5 min ago