New Jersey News
Mass held to remember slain NJ officers
NUTLEY, N.J. (WABC) -- Friends, family and police officers came together to remember the lives of 10 police officers who died this year.
The Cathedral Basilica was filled with hundreds of officers to remember the lives of 10 of their own who had fallen within the course of a year.
"Whenever we lose an officer, it takes a little bit out of each one of us," said Anthony Wieners, President of the NJ PBA.
10, Dedicated to serving and protecting, like Detective Michael Morgan who was killed Monday morning in Paterson.
Essex County Sheriff's Detective Jorge Oliviera was killed in October while in Afghanistan, serving in the Army.
Newark Police Officer William Johnson was killed outside a restaurant back in May.
"He was so proud to be a Newark Officer. It was his dream come true," said Gail Timmons, Officer Johnson's sister.
This was a long emotional day for many officers.
With the archbishop's words still fresh on their minds, they came to pay respects to Det. Morgan, whose family and friends gathered for his viewing.
The line outside Biondi Funeral home was long and solemn.
Detective Morgan will be buried a hero on Saturday.
new jersey, police officer dies, police officer killed, new jersey news, toni yates
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 46 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 1 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists to protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
46 min ago