New Jersey News
Funeral service held for slain Newark detective
NEWARK -- Hundreds of law enforcement officers were among those who turned out for the funeral of a Newark police detective who was killed during a robbery this week while off duty.
Thirty-two-year-old Michael Morgan was gunned down early Monday outside a northern New Jersey strip club where he was celebrating a friend's birthday.
Authorities say he was walking a dancer to her car when they were robbed by a man who shot Morgan once in the torso, killing him.
The alleged gunman, Jerome Wright, and his girlfriend were arrested Wednesday in Bensalem, Pa. Both face felony murder, robbery and weapons charges.
Morgan was given a posthumous medal of honor, which police department officials presented to his family during Saturday's service at Saint Lucy's Roman Catholic Church in Newark.
new jersey, officer killed, newark, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 24 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
59 min ago