New Jersey News
Funeral service held for slain Newark detective
NEWARK -- Hundreds of law enforcement officers were among those who turned out for the funeral of a Newark police detective who was killed during a robbery this week while off duty.
Thirty-two-year-old Michael Morgan was gunned down early Monday outside a northern New Jersey strip club where he was celebrating a friend's birthday.
Authorities say he was walking a dancer to her car when they were robbed by a man who shot Morgan once in the torso, killing him.
The alleged gunman, Jerome Wright, and his girlfriend were arrested Wednesday in Bensalem, Pa. Both face felony murder, robbery and weapons charges.
Morgan was given a posthumous medal of honor, which police department officials presented to his family during Saturday's service at Saint Lucy's Roman Catholic Church in Newark.
new jersey, officer killed, newark, new jersey news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 39 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 15 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos