New Jersey News
NJ woman indicted in case of abandoned pit bull
NEWARK, N.J. -- A New Jersey woman accused in March of abandoning a starved pit bull found at the bottom of a trash chute has been indicted on a charge of animal cruelty.
A grand jury in Essex County indicted Kisha Curtis on Friday.
Prosecutors say the 27-year-old from Albany, N.Y., tied the dog to a railing in her former Newark apartment building in March, and left the state for more than a week.
The year-old red pit bull mix, nicknamed "Patrick" by the hospital where he underwent rehab, was found near-death in a plastic bag at the bottom of the trash chute.
Patrick's plight and recovery sparked a worldwide outpouring of support.
Curtis originally pleaded not guilty to lesser charges. It was not clear who was representing her on the new charge.
new jersey, dog, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 16 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 4 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
23 min ago