New Jersey News
Mother, son dead in apparent murder-suicide
CLIFTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a man apparently shot his mother to death inside their northern New Jersey home this weekend before he fatally overdosed on some type of narcotic drug.
A family friend called police after finding the bodies of 20-year-old Robert Regazzi and his 53-year-old mother, Cheryl Regazzi, inside their Gillies Street home in Clifton around 4:30 p.m. Saturday.
The deaths remained under investigation on Sunday, but Passaic County authorities say it appears that the pair died in a murder-suicide.
A motive for the shooting remains unclear.
Officials say Cheryl Regazzi was shot once, but further details on her death were not immediately disclosed. And while they believe her son purposely overdosed, the drug he took won't be known until toxicology test are completed, a process that could take several weeks.
The Regazzis were last seen on Thursday night, when they took their trash cans to the curb for pickup on Friday. But the cans then remained in the street until Saturday morning, when a neighbor brought them back to the curb.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
new jersey, clifton, new jersey news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos