New Jersey News
Off-duty Newark cop foils carjacking attempt
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- One man is in the hospital, another on the run after allegedly attempting to carjack an off-duty Newark police officer.
Police say two armed men approached the off-duty cop in a parking lot on Avenue A pointed a gun, and demanded that he give them his car.
They say the officer then reached for his weapon and opened fire shooting one of the men in the chest.
He was taken to the hospital.
The second suspect has not been caught.
new jersey, newark, carjacking, crime, police shooting, new jersey news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos