New Jersey News
New details after prisoner is shot and killed by police
GARFIELD, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Garfield, New Jersey say they shot and killed an escaped prisoner.
Investigators say Malik Williams, 19, ran out of the Garfield Police Department Saturday while being processed for a domestic violence arrest.
Police tracked him to the garage of a private home.
When officers opened the door, they say Williams was armed with tools he'd gathered from the garage.
Two officers opened fire, striking Williams numerous times.
He was brought to Hackensack University Medical Center where he died.
Two officers involved in the shooting were also taken to the hospital, but are not seriously injured.
Diana Copin's family watched the pursuit unfold.
"They saw the cops chasing someone in the backyard," Copin said.
Neighbors say they heard five shots back to back.
And very soon after there were police, detectives and ambulances left and right.
The prosecutor's office says, "The suspect was encountered and shots were fired by both Garfield Police and Bergen County Police. The suspect was brought to Hackensack University Medical Center and pronounced dead."
The Bergen County Prosecutor's Office is investigating this incident as a police-involved shooting.
new jersey, escaped prisoner, new jersey news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013