New Jersey News
Former cop arrested in Wood-Ridge murder
WOOD-RIDGE, N.J. (WABC) -- Investigators have arrested Scott J. Smith, 33, in the murder of a friend in Wood-Ridge, New Jersey
John Amendola, 39, was found dead Sunday afternoon inside 311 Union Avenue.
According to investigators, Smith was at the Amendola's house socializing early Sunday morning. The two were friends and have known each other for nearly twenty years.
An argument erupted between the two men, and at some point Smith allegedly stabbed the victim numerous times with a knife that he carried regularly.
Smith then fled the scene, taking the weapon with him. No one else was present in the house at the time of the stabbing.
Detectives executed numerous search warrants at Smith's residence in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey and the residence of his girlfriend in Wallington, New Jersey. They said numerous items of evidence were seized as a result, including what is believed to be the murder weapon.
Smith, who is currently unemployed and was formerly employed as a police officer with the Hasbrouck Heights Police Department, has been charged with first degree murder and related charges.
He has been ordered held on $2-million bail.
Smith is due in court on Thursday afternoon.
new jersey, wood ridge, body found, crime, murder, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos