New Jersey News
Charges upgraded in fight after Jets game
EAST RUTHERFORD -- State police have upgraded charges against a New Jersey man accused of beating a fan in the parking lot after the Jets beat the Chiefs at MetLife Stadium Sunday.
Thirty-five-year-old Merle Lee of Newton is free on bond, charged with aggravated assault.
State Police Sgt. Brian Polite says Lee was initially charged with simple assault. However, charges were upgraded after 23-year-old James Mohr's condition worsened.
Polite says the Queens resident got into a brief scuffle with some guys and the skirmish broke up on its own. Polite says Lee then "came out of the blue and punched Mohr in the face."
Polite says the incident "was not a Jets-Chiefs melee." He says witnesses told troopers there was no indication they were Kansas City fans.
Mohr is out of intensive care.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york jets, new jersey news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos