New Jersey News
Charges upgraded in fight after Jets game
EAST RUTHERFORD -- State police have upgraded charges against a New Jersey man accused of beating a fan in the parking lot after the Jets beat the Chiefs at MetLife Stadium Sunday.
Thirty-five-year-old Merle Lee of Newton is free on bond, charged with aggravated assault.
State Police Sgt. Brian Polite says Lee was initially charged with simple assault. However, charges were upgraded after 23-year-old James Mohr's condition worsened.
Polite says the Queens resident got into a brief scuffle with some guys and the skirmish broke up on its own. Polite says Lee then "came out of the blue and punched Mohr in the face."
Polite says the incident "was not a Jets-Chiefs melee." He says witnesses told troopers there was no indication they were Kansas City fans.
Mohr is out of intensive care.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york jets, new jersey news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 18 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 48 min ago
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released 59 min ago
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest 33 min ago
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse