New Jersey News
Icing to blame for deadly NJ highway plane crash?
HARDING TWP., N.J. -- Federal investigators are resuming their search for wreckage from a fiery plane crash that killed five people in northern New Jersey on Tuesday.
The single-engine plane was carrying two investment bankers and three others from New Jersey to Georgia when it crashed on Interstate 287. All five people were killed along with a dog that was on board.
An audio recording of air traffic controllers talking to the pilot revealed they warned about icing conditions up to 17,000 feet. Investigators say the plane had requested clearance to climb to 17,500 feet before it spun out of control and crashed.
Witnesses said the plane looked as though it was performing aerobatic tricks.
Killed were investment bankers Jeffrey Buckalew and Rakesh Chawla as well as Buckalew's wife and two children.
The plane came down around 10 a.m. in the wooded area separating the north and southbound lanes of the highway between Exit 30/North Maple Avenue and Exit 35/South Street in Harding, New Jersey.
The plane belonged to Buckalew, who was an experienced pilot.
The Socata TBM-700 single-engine turboprop had departed from nearby Teterboro Airport when it disappeared from radar, said FAA spokesman Jim Peters.
Wreckage was scattered over at least a half mile, with a section found lodged in a tree of a home about a quarter-mile away, near a highway entrance ramp. The crash closed both sides of the busy highway for hours, though several lanes were open again in time for the evening rush hour.
Chris Covello of Rockaway Township said he saw the plane spin out of control from the car dealership where he works in Morristown, near the site of the crash.
"It was like the plane was doing tricks or something, twirling and flipping. It started going straight down. I thought any second they were going to pull up. But then the wing came off and they went straight down," he said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, morris county, harding, plane crash, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 10 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 59 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 46 min ago