New Jersey News
Paralyzed Rutgers player appears on SI cover
PARSIPPANY, N.J. -- Paralyzed Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand will be featured on the front page of Sports Illustrated's year-end issue as the 2011 Moment of the Year.
For the first time in the magazine's 57-year history, fans made the choice.
LeGrand garnered the most votes from fans in 178 countries and led more than 6,000 users to post comments on Facebook. The defensive lineman beat out soccer star Lionel Messi, surfer Kelly Slater and Yankees captain Derek Jeter.
Even New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie tweeted his support for LeGrand.
LeGrand has been undergoing rehabilitation since he was paralyzed from the neck down making a tackle in a game against Army in 2010.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, rutgers university, eric legrand, new jersey news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos