New Jersey News
Paralyzed Rutgers player appears on SI cover
PARSIPPANY, N.J. -- Paralyzed Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand will be featured on the front page of Sports Illustrated's year-end issue as the 2011 Moment of the Year.
For the first time in the magazine's 57-year history, fans made the choice.
LeGrand garnered the most votes from fans in 178 countries and led more than 6,000 users to post comments on Facebook. The defensive lineman beat out soccer star Lionel Messi, surfer Kelly Slater and Yankees captain Derek Jeter.
Even New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie tweeted his support for LeGrand.
LeGrand has been undergoing rehabilitation since he was paralyzed from the neck down making a tackle in a game against Army in 2010.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, rutgers university, eric legrand, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 55 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 53 min ago
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 53 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 22 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
25 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
53 min ago