New Jersey News
Wrong way crash leaves one dead in New Jersey
WOODBRIDGE (WABC) -- A southbound car veered into the northbound Garden State Parkway lanes in Woodbridge, crashed and exploded in flames, killing one person and critically injuring another.
The driver was headed southbound in the northbound lanes when the 1998 Dodge Integra crashed and caught fire just before 1:30 a.m.
Firefighters arrived to find the car engulfed in flames.
Officials said 43-year-old Leon Roberts of Passaic was pronounced dead at the scene.
John Flannery, 29, of Newark was pulled from the burning vehicle and rushed to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick in critical condition.
The Garden State Parkway's northbound lanes were closed for the investigation, and traffic was diverted to Route 9.
A second accident with no injuries occurred in the northbound lanes because of rubbernecking.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
garden state parkway, accident, new jersey, woodbridge, middlesex county, new jersey news
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Most Metro-North service resumes on Hudson Line
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Police ID suspect in NJ Marine's murder
- Former Roselle Park Police Chief fatally struck by car
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus 3 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls to be released Wednesday
- 'Fast & Furious 7' halted after Paul Walker's death
- ESPN Source: Ellsbury, Yanks agree on 7-year deal
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos