New Jersey News
Man charged in hit-an-run accident that killed NJ boy
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Authorities have made an arrest in connection with a hit-and-run accident that killed a 12-year-old southern New Jersey boy.
Ocean County Prosecutor Marlene Lynch Ford announced Saturday that 40-year-old Jesus Arellano of Lakewood was charged with leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle collision.
The charge stems from a Dec. 16 accident in which Edward Juarez was struck and killed while walking to his family's apartment in Lakewood.
Arellano, who authorities say is an illegal immigrant, was being held without bail. It wasn't known if he had retained a lawyer.
Authorities say the arrest came after police conducted a road block near the accident scene. They soon learned a van - covered by a tarp - had been parked at a nearby home since the night the accident occurred.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, hit and run accident, arrest, new jersey news
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension 20 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 56 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 38 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 59 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures