New Jersey News
Autopsy: Teen died from gunshot in carjack attempt
NEWARK -- Prosecutors say a northern New Jersey teenager who died after attempting to carjack an off-duty Newark police officer was killed by a gunshot wound sustained during a shootout with the officer, not by a subsequent car crash.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says an autopsy has determined that 17-year-old Vincent Owens of Newark died from a bullet wound to the chest fired by the unidentified off-duty officer.
Murray says the officer was confronted around 5:15 a.m. Saturday in the city's Vailsburg section by Owens and the two exchanged gunshots.
Owens was struck before he got into a waiting stolen getaway car vehicle with several other people inside, according to Murray. The car soon crashed and Owens was ejected, dying a short time later at a hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news
- Missing plane may have turned back 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 48 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 1 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 7 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
25 min ago