New Jersey News
Paramus High School student dies in class
PARAMUS, N.J. (WABC) -- It was a traumatic day for students at a high school in New Jersey when a fellow student collapsed in class and later died.
The 11 grader suddenly felt ill, and before he could get to the nurse's office at Paramus High School, he fell to the ground as students watched in horror.
The flag at Paramus High School flies at half staff, a grim reminder of the tragic and sudden death of one of its students as his classmates looked on in horror.
"I was just in shock," said one student.
"I couldn't believe it happened," said another student.
The three students were wrestling teammates last year of Eric Micheo, a junior at Paramus High School.
Students who were in the classroom told the three what happened.
Eric had told the teacher he wasn't feeling well and asked to go to the nurse's office.
"As the teacher was writing him a pass, he passed out and went into a seizure, he was laying there in the teachers arms and then from a seizure he went into cardiac arrest from what I heard," the student said.
Mayor Richard LaBarbiera says the death was sudden.
"Initially, the teachers in the school did everything they could in their power and were quickly joined by emergency personnel within the community and the child was transported to Hackensack Hospital," Mayor LaBarbiera said.
"Later on in the class we see a stretcher come by, see them doing CPR on him, I freaked out, like what's going on and I'm like, 'I know this kid,'" a student said.
Word spread quickly, through social media, including blogs, from a student.
"This gives everyone a lesson. Don't take life for granted. Be happy with what you have. Be grateful for people who love you. We don't know what tomorrow will bring," the blog read.
Mayor LaBarbiera is the father of a student at Paramus High School.
"Obviously, the emotion as a parent and I like every other parent, the worst always runs through your mind, and my heart goes out to the family this evening as they grieve over their tragic, sudden loss," LaBarbiera said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paramus, child death, new jersey news, jim dolan
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 7 min ago
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 35 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled 41 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
33 min ago