New Jersey News
10-year-old boy accidentally shot in Keyport
KEYPORT, N.J. (WABC) -- A 10-year-old boy was shot in New Jersey Monday night.
The incident happened on Broad Street in Keyport.
The child's injuries are not life threatening, and the shooting is said to be accidental.
Police say he was playing with the gun when it accidentally went off, striking him in the leg.
He was admitted to Jersey Shore Medical Center, where he needed stitches. He will not need surgery and did not break any bones.
Sources say the gun belonged to his father, and it appears to be legally owned.
The shooting remains under investigation by Keyport Police and the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, child shot, new jersey news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos