New Jersey News
Space heater blamed for North Bergen fire
NORTH BERGEN (WABC) -- A four-alarm fire burned through a three story building in North Bergen, New Jersey.
Heavy smoke and fire could be seen spewing from the building on Broadway in North Bergen.
Flames broke out shortly after 1:00 p.m. on the second floor and quickly spread through numerous stores on the first floor and into the apartments above.
The fire appears to have been caused by a space heater in a second floor apartment.
The residents of that apartment told police that the fire started in the space heater, and quickly spread through the apartment.
They evacuated as quickly as they could.
Fire marshals plan to investigate, but they haven't been able to get inside the building yet, and may not because it's in danger of collapsing.
Firefighters responded to reports of residents trapped on the upper floors.
Three firefighters and two civilians were injured.
None of the injuries are life threatening.
There were still hot spots being put out late Wednesday night. Nine families were left homeless by the blaze.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, fire, new jersey news, jim dolan
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 31 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
54 min ago